Little Island’s Park Attendants serve as the primary stewards of the park and its visitors, cultivating a meaningful and memorable experience for all park visitors and maintaining a clean and safe outdoor environment. The Park Attendants are key members of the Park Operations department, a dynamic team of collaborative and motivated individuals who collectively care for the park and its visitors. Attendants will embody Little Island’s values by collaborating often across all departments at Little Island, jumping in to help solve problems and address immediate park needs, communicating park-related concerns or issues to Park leadership proactively, and fostering memorable visitor experiences and relationships in the park each day. The larger Operations department is also comprised of Park Supervisors, Custodians, Security, Maintenance, Horticulture staff, and administrators who work together to operate our park for the public each day.
The ideal Park Attendants are outgoing communicators, accountable and professional team members, and adaptable self-starters who enjoy the details of maintaining a public park. They thrive in the outdoors, prioritize safety, and take pride in caretaking a beautiful public space for all to enjoy. Candidates who can converse in multiple languages (including but not limited to Spanish, French, Mandarin, American Sign Language, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
About the Role
- Job Type: Part Time
- Hourly Rate: $21.00 (year-round) or $19.50 (seasonal)
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Job Type: Part-time Year-round and Seasonal positions available
- Schedule Expectations: Park Attendants work a regular schedule spanning all operating hours of the park, with the flexibility to work early mornings, late evenings, holidays, and on-call shifts.
What You’ll Do
- Actively engage with visitors at Little Island, welcoming them into the park and communicating key information such as: park access points, park rules, background and historical information about the park, food and beverage offerings, and performance and programming details
- Participate in upholding the safety and care of the park; including facilitating early park closures due to severe weather, de-escalating conflict, and participating in safety training to perform essential safety-related responsibilities
- Collaborate with Park Supervisors and other Operations team members to execute park opening and closing routines as needed
- Set up, breakdown, and assist as needed with park programs, events, and other organizational initiatives. These responsibilities include and are not limited to; setting up stanchions and queues, breaking down park furniture, monitoring flow and capacity, informing visitors about what is taking place, and actively engaging visitors to participate in the activities of the park
- Monitor and refresh trash bags, provide light cleaning support to park furniture and spaces, and collaborate closely with the custodial team as needed
- Track visitation levels in real time to ensure a safe experience for all visitors, particularly as it relates to crowd management or ticket reservations
- Collaborate with other Operations departments to complete other key maintenance and custodial tasks, such as snow and ice removal or storm preparation, in service to maintaining the visual standards and safety of the park
- Other duties and tasks related to the park and its operations as assigned
What You Bring
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Patience, adaptability, and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations. Experience executing safety protocols in the field is a plus
- The ability to actively move throughout the park for extended periods of time in all weather
- Ability to transport or lift objects weighing 25-50 lbs as needed
- Possession of OSHA 10 or 30 preferred, willingness to complete OSHA 10 required
- Comfort conversing in multiple languages a plus
- Ability to work in US
Benefits and Perks
- Eligible for accrued sick time
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Access to free tickets at Little Island and local discounts at neighborhood businesses
Life at Little Island
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island working in outdoor weather conditions, navigating the entire park multiple times a day, and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, and rehearsal space. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings, and events.
- Little Island has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for all employees unless a reasonable accommodation is approved, which includes the booster dose if eligible. Potential employees will be given the opportunity to provide proof of up-to-date vaccination or request a reasonable accommodation at the start of employment.
- Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. In short, you are welcome here no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you look like. Our park is for everyone, and so is our workplace.