Visitor Experience Supervisor (Full-Time, Year-Round)
About the Role
Little Island seeks several experienced Visitor Experience Supervisors who will embody our commitment to cultivating a dynamic and memorable experience for all park visitors. This team will join us as we plan our inaugural season and be responsible for fostering and maintaining a welcoming, safe and positive atmosphere within the park. The ideal candidate will be a dynamic collaborator and leader with experience in hospitality who is excited to work outdoors and support a diverse part-time team and our park’s visitors. Candidates who can converse in multiple languages (including but not limited to Spanish, Mandarin, American Sign Language, etc.) and are passionate about people are especially encouraged to apply. This role is full-time, year-round and reports to the Visitor Experience Manager.
Visitor Experience and Programs
- Engage with and assist park visitors, anticipating questions and actively curating an environment that allows for exploration, imagination, and relaxation
- Provide customer service and problem resolution in the moment with a focus on maintaining a safe and inclusive park experience
- Communicate swiftly with all Little Island teams and departments, both in the moment in support of the dynamic nature of our operations as well as using communications tools such as daily reports, visitation recording, and incident reports
- Ensure Little Island’s various performance venues and spaces throughout the park are prepared in service to our events and programs; communicate well and often with the various team members from Programming and Education to ensure we extend our support and hospitality to our artists
- Act as a point of contact on Little Island for third party vendors, artists, and other park staff, intersecting often with the workflows of Little Island’s Food and Beverage and Horticulture vendors in service to fostering communication and collaboration across all Little Island operations
Leadership and Supervisory Responsibilities
- Work in the park alongside the Visitor Experience team, ensuring staff have the information and tools they need to deliver an excellent visitor experience
- Provide consistent and constructive feedback and coaching to the Visitor Experience team to allow each employee to authentically engage with our visitors and our values
- Escalate concerns and observations to the Visitor Experience Manager to ensure compliance with operational policies and procedures and accurate incident tracking
- Participate in the training and development of staff on our park’s history, how to cultivate a welcoming and inclusive park, and understanding park protocols
- Adjust workflows of staff during shifts when necessary to compensate for scheduled and unscheduled absences, priority changes, projects, and special events
Safety and Park Care
- Inspect all park facilities and property areas daily with the intention to identify and troubleshoot problems, and liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve resolution
- Act as a key member of the safety team, demonstrating good judgement when there are new or changing conditions in the park or cases of evacuation or escalation
- Track and administer any changes to access throughout the park; clear and close areas as needed in response to established visitation or safety protocols
- Support snow and ice removal during the winter season using snow shovels. May be trained to use equipment such as snow blowers or snow brooms.
- Assist with custodial tasks, focusing on waste removal and maintaining visual standards, during times of high visitation or staff shortage
- Supervise the opening and/or closing of the park as scheduled
- Assist with other park duties as assigned
What You Bring
- Minimum 2 years' experience working in customer service for public, outdoor, and/or artistic spaces preferred
- Availability to work early morning or late evening shifts at Little Island, in addition to weekends or holidays as scheduled
- A hardworking and energetic spirit with a dedication to the details
- Experience collaborating with people from all backgrounds
- A passion for public space and an interest in nature, art, and food
- Great judgment and an intentional approach to decision-making and conflict resolution
- Ability to transport, move, and utilize park equipment weighing up to 30 lbs. with proper tools for safety, as well as move materials and equipment into various positions within the park
- Comfort conversing in multiple languages a plus
- Valid NY-State Driver’s License, preferred
- Eligibility to work in the US
- Availability to begin working full-time February 2021
What to Expect
- Little Island will be open year-round, from 6am-1am daily.
- Little Island has 3 distinct performances spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater
- Park employees should expect to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island, navigating the entire park and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings and events.
- Full-time, year-round schedule with a competitive hourly rate
- 10 vacation days, 7 sick days, 3 personal days
- Medical, dental & vision care
- Contribution into a 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
How to Apply
Submit your application and portfolio materials via the ‘Apply Here’ button below, through Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at email@example.com.
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.