Human Resources Generalist (Full-Time, Year Round)
About the Role
Little Island seeks a culturally competent self-starter with experience supporting the human resources department of an organization to join our Employee Experience department as a Human Resources (HR) Generalist. The ideal HR Generalist will have experience managing personnel-related manners, overseeing employee benefits and retention programs, and managing detail-oriented recordkeeping, communication plans, and files with an eye towards excellence and compliance. Candidates with an authentic passion for working with people of all backgrounds and fields, as well as experience building systems that can adapt within a dynamic workplace are highly encouraged to apply as this role will be an integral contributor to manifesting Little Island’s culture, values, and workforce development goals in the day-to-day operations of our workplace. This position is full-time year-round and reports directly to the Employee Experience Manager.
- Oversee and manage Little Island’s Professional Employer Organization (PEO) vendor, ensuring all full-time, seasonal and temporary employees are accurately onboarded and offboarded through the system, understand the benefits available to them, and that the organization is activating the full capabilities of the system and services it provides
- Update and champion the employee handbook, building solid systems and communication plans to ensure all employees are aligned on Little Island’s policies; Research, recommend, and draft new policies as needed
- Manage and administrate Open Enrollment, Worker’s Compensation claims, and paid time off and leave workflows
- Manage personnel files, ensuring all communications, documents, and employee information are handled with discretion, compliance, and excellence
- Collaborate with the Employee Experience Manager on the execution of Little Island’s performance management and personnel feedback processes, ensuring all employee-related matters are managed and assessed through the lens of Little Island’s values
- Collaborate with other members of the Employee Experience department on the integration of staff within their first 30-days and 90-days at Little Island, with an eye towards retention and providing individual support as needed after their initial onboarding
- Develop and present financial forecasts to the Chief Operating Officer, Employee Experience Manager, and Finance Manager in service to building a sustainable benefits program that balances employee retention with fiscal responsibility
- Lead the administration and execution of any unique HR or employee-related workflows, including the organization’s Covid-19 safety plans and processes
- Collaborate with the Employee Experience Manager and other departments on the identification and execution of organization-wide compliance and safety training and certifications
- Coach and partner with supervisors in regards to employee development and feedback, particularly during the organization’s high season
- Collaborate with the Employee Experience Associate on Little Island’s workforce development programs and initiatives
- Support employee initiatives and events that build a hospitable work culture, fostering retention, trust, and employee success as needed
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
What You Bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Organization Management, or Public Administration, or SHRM-CP/SHRM credentials a plus
- 3-5 years of experience working in human resources or an administrative function;
- Experience using TriNet, or a similar PEO company, preferred
- Sophisticated interpersonal skills and a passion for bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds and communities to work towards organizational goals; knowledge of social/emotional learning or experience in social work a plus
- Strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills with a keen eye for detail
- Experience or interest in employee coaching
- Ability to work independently, lead by example, and motivate and influence positive behaviors
- A passion for parks, public spaces, and their role in local communities
- Spanish language fluency, a plus
What to Expect
- Little Island has 3 distinct outdoor spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater.
- Park employees may be asked to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island working in outdoor weather conditions, navigating the entire park, and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings, and events.
- Little Island is a park open for all New Yorkers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. All park employees are expected to actively participate in our communal commitment to employee safety and health and all related employee policies, which are reinforced with our current employees often and will be shared throughout the interview process.
- In accordance with Little Island's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families; our visitors; and the community at large during the pandemic. This policy is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities and should be interpreted in alignment with applicable law. All Little Island employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as determined by the CDC, by November 15, 2021, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Potential employees will be given the opportunity to provide proof of vaccination or request a reasonable accommodation at the onset of employment.
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
- 10 days vacation, 7 sick, 3 personal days
- Medical, dental & vision care
- Eligible for accrued sick leave and holiday pay
- Contribution into a 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
How to apply
Click the “Apply Here” button below to submit your application via Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.