Director of Park Operations (Full-Time, Year Round)
About the Role
Little Island’s Director of Park Operations is responsible for the execution of Little Island’s Horticulture, Park Operations, and Visitor Experience departments in service to Little Island’s overall operations and maintenance. The ideal candidate will understand how to steer a dynamic operational strategy and plan, demonstrate a high-skill level in people management, and be able to manage the macro and micro needs of a high-profile park and its various programs and offerings. The Director of Park Operations will champion an excellent and meticulous standard of care for our park within the organization and in service to cultivating a quality experience for all visitors. This role is a key member of the executive leadership team at Little Island, along with Little Island’s Chief Operating Officer, Director of Education and Community Relations, and Producer, and reports directly to the Executive Director.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director on the planning and execution of all park operations to ensure organizational consistency and accuracy in service to the mission, values, and safety of Little Island
- Oversee the Head of Horticulture, Park Operations Manager, and Visitor Experience Manager, providing key guidance and support on the development, execution, and implementation of their departmental strategies and workflows
- Manage the mapping out and delivery of all Little Island capital maintenance projects, overseeing all budgets and execution in partnership with the Park Operations and Maintenance departments and any external construction management firms
- Oversee the management of Little Island’s key external vendors including, horticulture and security, ensuring relationships are managed with excellence and in service to the proper upkeep and safety of Little Island
- Oversee the Park Operations departmental budget, ensuring all organizational projects, initiatives, and planning that falls under this budget is delivered excellently and within the allotted resources
- Act as executive advisor for all Little Island safety initiatives, planning, and trainings, to ensure department heads are prioritizing staff education, safety, and proper protocols throughout all aspects of park operations
- Collaborate closely with the Park Operations management teams in service to ensuring all protocols, procedures, and staffing plans enhance and balance park operations, fiscal responsibility, and the visitor experience
- Collaborate closely with the Chief Operating Officer regarding any legal and insurance-related issues to manage exposure and ensure the park’s operations are sustainable and in compliance with all operational agreements and permits
- Collaborate closely with Hudson River Park Trust and act as the primary liaison in matters related to the long-term maintenance and upkeep of the park
- Initiate and manage other administrative and/organizational projects as required and assigned by the Executive Director
- Provide feedback and make operational recommendations to the Executive Director to increase the overall success of Little Island and its operations
- Miscellaneous duties as assigned
What you Bring
- 7+ years operational management experience, preferably for a public space or a visitor attraction in an urban city
- A passion for parks, public spaces, and their role in local communities
- Experience overseeing complex vendor relationships and executing capital projects
- Experience working with internal staff as well as external stakeholders in operational settings in a manner that models accountability and demonstrates discernment and professionalism
- Excellent administrative, writing, and verbal communication skills; The ability to converse technically and negotiate with vendors and stakeholders in a variety of park and public space fields (construction, maintenance, horticulture, urban planning, etc.)
- Proven track record of leading a diverse range of teams and managers to success as they take on new projects and enhance existing workflows
- A vision for fostering an operational plan and organizational culture that balances excellence, hospitality, and inclusion
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; A passion for creative problem solving, collaborating cross-departmentally, and managing multiple projects, deadlines, and details with finesse
- Availability to work nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed, and to respond to emergency situations on an “on-call” basis.
- Availability to start ASAP
What To Expect
- Little Island has 3 distinct outdoor spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater.
- Park employees may be asked to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island working in outdoor weather conditions, navigating the entire park, and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings, and events.
- Little Island is a park open for all New Yorkers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. All park employees are expected to actively participate in our communal commitment to employee safety and health and all related employee policies, which are reinforced with our current employees often and will be shared throughout the interview process.
- In accordance with Little Island's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we have adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families; our visitors; and the community at large during the pandemic. This policy is based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local health authorities and should be interpreted in alignment with applicable law. All Little Island employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as determined by the CDC, by November 15, 2021, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Potential employees will be given the opportunity to provide proof of vaccination or request a reasonable accommodation at the onset of employment.
- Competitive salary (commensurate with experience)
- 20 days vacation, 7 sick, 3 personal days
- Medical, dental & vision care
- Contribution into a 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
How To Apply
Click the “Apply Here” button below to submit your application via Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at email@example.com
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.