Custodian (Full-time, year-round)
About the Role
The maintenance of Little Island’s safe and welcoming nature is in the hands of its year-round and seasonal Custodian team. The ideal Custodian will be a hardworking and energetic self-starter who enjoys the outdoors and is dedicated to the details. Little Island’s facility includes onsite performance spaces, restrooms, actor support spaces, and park and food stall fixtures and equipment. This role is full-time, year-round and reports to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Clean park surfaces, fixtures, and furniture including public and staff restrooms.
- Remove leaves and debris using brooms, leaf vacuum, and leaf blower
- Monitor trash receptacles, refresh trash bags, and coordinate trash pick-up with carting service
- Remove snow and ice using snow shovels. May be trained to use equipment such as snow blowers or snow brooms
- Report graffiti and any damaged or broken park features using an online work order system
- Provide hands-on support with the set up and breakdown of public programs and events including folding tables, chairs, barricades or other objects as assigned
- Provide support to other members of the Little Island Operations staff on a variety of tasks including:
- Maintenance tasks, such as sanding, polishing, or minor repairs using hand tools
- Horticultural tasks such as removing weeds, clearing fallen leaves, or planting
- Perform other duties as required in the scope of the job and as designated by the Park and Facilities Operations Manager, Maintenance Supervisor, or Head of Horticulture.
- Demonstrate a commitment to hospitality by providing positive customer service to park visitors when answering questions and conveying park information
- Report any rule enforcement needs to supervisors or security personnel
What You Bring
- Comfortable working independently and with a team outside in a park-setting
- Availability to work early morning or late evening shifts at Little Island, in addition to weekends or holidays regularly
- Hardworking, energetic, self-motivated, and dedicated to the details
- Experience prioritizing safety and an excellent standard of care
- Knowledge of proper cleaning and sanitation techniques and products a plus
- Enthusiasm for public space, experience working in a public or outdoor space a plus
- Ability to transport or lift park equipment weighing up to 50 lbs, as well as set-up and breakdown materials and equipment into various positions within the park and our storage facilities
- Comfortable operating equipment such as power-washers or leaf blowers. If not yet comfortable, candidates should be willing to learn
- Possession of OSHA 10 or 30 a plus
- Fall/Arrest training, CPR/First Aid Training or other relevant certifications a plus
- Eligibility to work in the US
- Availability to begin work Monday, January 18th
What to Expect
- Little Island will be open year-round, from 6am-1am daily.
- Little Island has 3 distinct performances spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater
- Park employees may be asked to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island, navigating the entire park and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings and events.
- Competitive hourly rate
- 10 vacation days, 7 sick days, 3 personal days
- Medical, dental & vision care
- Contribution into a 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
How to Apply
Submit your application via the ‘Apply Here’ button below, through Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.