Visitor Experience Host
Little Island seeks several outgoing, accountable, and energetic Visitor Experience Hosts to serve as the primary Little Island representatives for the public and cultivate a meaningful and memorable experience for all park visitors. The Host team is composed of dynamic and reliable individuals with excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. A successful Visitor Experience Host has a passion for engaging with the public, an enthusiasm for working in outdoor public spaces, and prioritizes safety and an excellent standard of care. Candidates who can converse in multiple languages (including but not limited to Spanish, Mandarin, American Sign Language, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
Applications for Hosts will be accepted on a rolling basis.
About the Role
- Job Type: Temporary
- Schedule Expectations: Visitor Experience Hosts should be available to work between 15-29 hours a week on a changing schedule covering all hours of park operation including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Projected End Date: October 2, 2022
- Employment Duration: If employed in a temporary position, candidates should note that they will need to reapply for any future positions and there is no presumption for rehire or reoccurring employment in subsequent seasons.
- How to Apply: Email your resume to email@example.com and include the name of the role you are applying for in the email subject. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You'll Do
- Actively engage with visitors at Little Island, welcoming them into the park and communicating information on park access points, park rules, background and historical information about the park, and performance and programming details
- Track and manage visitation levels as outlined by the Visitor Experience department to ensure a safe experience for all visitors, particularly as it relates to crowd management and timed entry for visitors
- Aid in the safety and care of the park; including early park closures due to severe weather, assisting with snow and ice removal, de-escalating conflict, and participating in safety training to perform essential safety-related responsibilities
- Set up, breakdown and assist as needed with park programs, recreational events, and other organizational initiatives. These responsibilities include and are not limited to; setting up stanchions and queues, monitoring flow and capacity, informing visitors about what is taking place, and actively engaging visitors to participate
- Collaborate with other Operations departments to assist with maintenance and custodial tasks, such as waste, snow and ice removal, in service to maintaining visual standards and safety
- Other duties and tasks related to the park and its operations as assigned
What You'll Bring
- Enthusiasm for public space and working outdoors in all kinds of weather; experience working in a public or outdoor space a plus
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Patience, adaptability, and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations is key
- The ability to remain in one position for extended periods of time in all weather
- Transporting or lifting park equipment ranging from 30-40 lbs. is not required of everyone on the team but some Hosts will be asked to do this to complete certain aspects of the role
- Willingness and flexibility to accommodate dynamic and evolving scheduling needs, including but not limited to early mornings, late evenings, and on-call shifts
- Comfort conversing in multiple languages a plus
- Ability to work in US
- A genuine interest and investment to contribute to our culture of camaraderie and excellence by collaborating and problem-solving cross-departmentally onsite Little Island
- Passion for engaging with visitors and guests of Little Island, ensuring they feel welcome and have the information they need in service to a memorable visitor experience
Benefits and Perks
- Eligible for accrued sick time
- Eligible for holiday and overtime pay
- Contribution into a 401(k)-retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Access to free tickets at Little Island
Life at Little Island
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island working in outdoor weather conditions, navigating the entire park multiple times a day, and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings, and events.
- All park employees are expected to actively participate in our communal commitment to employee safety and health and all related employee policies. Based on guidance from global and local health authorities, Little Island has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for all employees, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved. Potential employees will be given the opportunity to provide proof of vaccination or request a reasonable accommodation at the start of employment.
- Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. In short, you are welcome here no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you look like. Our park is for everyone, and so is our workplace.