Assistant Park Supervisor
Little Island’s Assistant Park Supervisor is a key member of the Park Operations department, and is a steward of the park, its visitors, and its ongoing care. The larger Operations department is also comprised of Park Supervisors, Park Attendants, Security, Maintenance, Horticulture staff, and administrators who all collaborate to operate our park for the public every day. Supporting the day-to-day operations of the park, the Assistant Park Supervisor often acts as a key decision-maker onsite in lieu of a Supervisor or Manager, and/or collaborates directly with on-site park leadership. They ensure the space and staff are set up for success and that the park is a clean, safe, and hospitable place for all.
The ideal Assistant Park Supervisor takes pride in the excellent maintenance of the park, enjoys building relationships across all departments at Little Island, and is reliable with excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. They are a dependable, skilled decision maker who thrives while working outdoors, and can remain grounded and calm under pressure.
About the Role
- Hourly Rate: $25
- Job Type: Full-Time Seasonal
- Exempt Status: Non-exempt
- Schedule Expectations: The Assistant Park Supervisor works a flexible schedule to ensure they are working in the park at all times of operations (6am-12am during the summer, 6am-9pm during the winter). Weekend and holiday work is expected as well as flexibility to work early mornings and late evenings.
- Projected Start Date: Week of March 6th
- How to Apply: Click the ‘Apply Here’ button below to submit your application. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You’ll Do
Leadership and Departmental Responsibilities
- Work in the park alongside the park team, ensuring the staff has the information, tools, and support they need.
- Act as the key point of contact on Little Island for other Little Island departments, third party vendors, and artists as necessary, intersecting often with the workflows of Little Island’s vendors in service to fostering communication and collaboration across all Little Island’s operations.
- Ensure Little Island’s various performance spaces throughout the park are prepared in service to our events and programs; communicate well and often with the various team members from Programming and Education, including the front of house teams, to ensure we extend support and hospitality to our artists and visitors around programs.
- Ensure Park Attendant staff have the information and tools they need to deliver an excellent experience.
- Adjust workflows of staff during shifts when necessary to compensate for scheduled and unscheduled absences, priority changes, projects, and special events.
- Inspect all park facilities and property areas daily with the intention to identify and troubleshoot problems and liaise with appropriate personnel to achieve resolution.
- Demonstrate good judgement and comfort with decision-making when there are new or changing conditions in the park, or cases of evacuation or de-escalation.
- Escalate concerns and observations to the Park Operations Manager, or Director of Operations as necessary, in a timely and professional manner to ensure compliance with internal operational policies and procedures, and accurate incident tracking.
- Supervise the opening and/or closing of the park as scheduled.
Safety and Overall Park Care
- Actively engage with visitors at Little Island, welcoming them into the park and communicating key information such as: park access points, park rules, the background and history of the park, food and beverage offerings, and performance and programming details.
- Assist in tracking and managing visitation levels to ensure a safe experience for all visitors, particularly as it relates to crowd management and any timed entry or reservations.
- Participate in upholding the safety and care of the park; including facilitating early park closures due to severe weather, de-escalating conflict, and participating in safety training to perform essential safety-related responsibilities.
- Collaborate closely with the custodial team as needed and provide light cleaning support to park furniture and spaces.
- Collaborate with other Operations departments to complete other maintenance and custodial tasks, such as snow and ice removal or storm preparation, in service to maintaining the visual standards and safety of the park
- Other duties and tasks related to the park and its operations as assigned.
What You Bring
- Effective communication and collaboration skills
- Patience, adaptability, and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- The ability to remain in one position for extended periods of time in all weather
- Transporting or lifting park equipment weighing up to 50 lbs., as well as move materials, furniture, and equipment into various positions within the park
- Comfort conversing in multiple languages a plus
- Valid NY driver’s license with clean driving record preferred, but not required
- Possession of OSHA 10 or 30 preferred, willingness to complete OSHA 10 required
- Ability to work in US
Benefits and Perks
- Eligible for accrued sick leave (up to 7 days)
- Health Benefits: Medical, dental & vision care
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Commuter benefits
- Flexible spending accounts
- Basic Life Insurance, Short & Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Access to free tickets at Little Island
Life at Little Island
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island working in outdoor weather conditions, navigating the entire park multiple times a day, and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, and rehearsal space. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings, and events.
- Little Island has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for all employees unless a reasonable accommodation is approved, which includes the booster dose if eligible. Potential employees will be given the opportunity to provide proof of up-to-date vaccination or request a reasonable accommodation at the start of employment.
- Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status. In short, you are welcome here no matter who you are, where you come from, or what you look like. Our park is for everyone, and so is our workplace.